Here is a yummy and natural prebiotic energy boosting drink! I love downing one of these bad boys before AND after my yoga classes. It's made with coconut water, chia seeds, lemon and a hint of agave nectar and is extremely effective in hydrating the body and balancing electrolytes after a good sweat.
I talk A LOT about probiotics on this blog, but in this post, I wanted to shine some light on prebiotics since they aren't talked about nearly as much as the former.
You may be thinking, "Well, maybe they aren't as important as probiotics. I have never even heard of them!" And you would be wrong.
In fact, prebiotics are essential to probiotics carrying out their duties. Simply put, prebiotics are food for probiotics and they help increase the absorption of minerals in our body while balancing the acid in our gut. Prebiotics are found naturally in foods we eat on a daily basis such as yogurt, kefir, onions, CHIA SEEDS, bananas, etc. This dynamic duo works hand-in-hand to carry out their immune-boosting and acid-balancing benefits.
Think about it this way: Your tomato plants can't grow with just fertilizer (prebiotics), and they can't grow if you're only using seeds (probiotics) - the two of these items need to work together to allow that beautiful tomato plant to flourish! Here is an easy recipe that will ensure you're getting your daily dose of prebiotics...
- 2 cups coconut water
- 1.5 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (and a slice to make it pretty)
- 1/2 tbsp Agave Nectar, to taste (or any natural sweetener)
- Add chia and coconut water into a mason jar or a bottle with a lid. This is key because you will want to shake this mixture around for a minute or two.
- Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes to allow the chia seeds to swell up and soften.
- Add lemon juice and agave nectar to taste. Shake well to combine and enjoy!
- Sip Sip Hooray!!