Most of us use multiple skincare products each day. From cleanser to sunscreen and several products in between, it matters how you apply these wrinkle removers, brightening miracles and moisturizing saviors. Even the most amazing and effective products won’t be so amazing if you are not layering them in the correct order. You could be wasting not only your time but your money and never get the results you are looking for.
Problems When You Don’t Layer Correctly
Skincare products may not penetrate: This is a problem if you are putting thin, fluid or water-based products on top of thick, creamy, or oily ones. The richer products will form a barrier on your skin that prevents anything else from getting through.
Skincare products may be less effective: If certain products are not able to penetrate your skin properly, you obviously cannot get their full benefits. Plus, when certain active ingredients are meant to be applied away from each other, using them together can deactivate them or even create a new, unwanted chemical reaction. In either case, your routine won't be as effective as it should be.
General Rules for Layering Skincare:
Thinnest to thickest in texture:
Always remember, after cleansing, you need to apply the thinnest product in your skincare arsenal first, then move to the next product that is a bit thicker than the first, and so on. Example: lightweight or watery type products first, such as toner or serums. Followed by moisturizers, lotions, or creams. If use a facial oil, that would go on top of the moisturizer. The final step would be an application of SPF, always, every day without fail.
Water-based products before oil-based:
The adage that oil and water do not mix, is the same for skincare products. Oil can block water from penetrating. If using a facial oil for example, even though it feels thinner in texture than the moisturizer, if you apply the oil first it will create a barrier and your moisturizer will not be able to penetrate leaving it less effective.
Layering Your Skincare Routine:
- Cleanse – Wash your skin both morning and evening to reduce daily pollution, dirt, oil and makeup. Using a facial cleanser will help reduce daily build up and give you the glow you are looking for! Don't know your skin type? Take our skin quiz and find out today.
- Tone and Toners – At GLOWBIOTICS we refine & brighten. Our Probiotic Brightening + Refining Layering Solution is so much more than a toner, it brightens the complexion, lessons fine lines and balances the skin.
- Serum – Depending on what you are trying to correct on your skin, choose a serum that targets it. Vitamin C for brightening, calming to reduce redness, Acne + Clarifying to help with breakouts or a nutrient rich oil to feed dry skin and feed it the vitamins it needs.
- Moisturizer – Just as you choose your serum, customize your moisturizer or lotion to target the same skin concern. Just remember moisturizing the skin is an individual texture choice, some like a light lotion, some like a thick cream.
- SPF – Every day, rain or shine, outside for 5 minutes or all day, SPF will protect and prevent further skin damage, early signs of aging and even skin cancer.