If the thought of running a razor over your skin this winter is making you wince, it’s understandable. Cold weather, wind and temperature fluctuations can leave men’s skin dry, irritated, and especially sensitive. The good news is that for most men, there are alternatives. Looking for all-year skincare tips? Check out our men’s skincare product guide. Give your skin what it needs during this time of the year and follow along with our mens skincare advice below.
Mens Skincare Advice #1 – Men’s Lotions and Moisturizers
Lotions and moisturizers should be part of every man’s grooming routine to prevent skin roughness and aging, but winter is when this is most vital. Look for a thicker, richer moisturizer and keep an eye out for certain key ingredients that fight winter chapping and flaking as well as the aging effects of dryness:
- Emollients – to stop the skin from losing its moisture. These include plant oils, shea butter, cocoa butter. Avoid petroleum, which can prevent skin from breathing and lead to dehydration, inflammation, and breakouts. Plant oils are best–they penetrate the skin quickly and deeply for long-lasting hydration and have antioxidants and vitamins to nourish and protect skin from winter weather.
- Humectants – to attract additional external water to the skin. They include, glycerin, sodium PCA, sodium hyaluronate and hyaluronic acid.
- Antioxidants – fight free radicals, which are unstable molecules in the body that cause cell damage. Antioxidants include tocopherol (vitamin E), lycopene (a carotenoid found in red produce), green tea, coffeeberry, resveratrol (from grapes), grape seed, genistein (from soy), niacinamide (vitamin B3), and l-ascorbic acid (vitamin C)
- Omega-Rich Oils – not only topically but your oral intake will help as well. Essential fatty acids like Omega -3 and Omega – 6 are necessary to retain moisture in the skin. Because our body does not make these essential acids on its own, supplementing will help. Include foods like, salmon, sardines, lake trout and other cold-water fish to your diet along with nuts and oils such as, flax seeds, walnuts, and almonds.
- Probiotics – reduce inflammation and irritation to the skin while balancing the microbiome. The microbiome is a protective barrier comprised of good and bad bacteria and healthy skin needs a balance of these live bacteria to thrive. Give the GLOWBIOTICS Moisture Rich Replenishing Cream (perfect for winter) or the Probiotics Calming Lotion (for a lighter weight moisture fix).
Mens Skincare Advice #2 – Shave Less or Shave Smarter
This daily or weekly addition in mens skincare routines can wreak havoc on winter dry skin. Unfortunately for those who like a close shave, avoiding shaving on the regular is not a realistic option. The secret to shaving while maintaining your skin is all in the technique and products you use.
- Dispose of your single use razors. Now is the time to invest in a quality razor or better yet, learn to use a straight razor. With higher quality razors, you do not need to make multiple passes over your skin. This little trick will help preserve the essential moisture on your skin and prevent the risk of cuts.
- Use a moisturizing soap or natural saving gel, high in the ingredients mentioned above. Something that gives you a rich lather and doesn’t sting. Try to look for something without alcohol as it will add to your dryness and discomfort.
- Post calming treatment immediately after you shave will do wonders. Remember, after shaving, your pores become exposed and more open. This is the best time to add vital moisture back into the skin. Adding a soothing, hydrating, and nourishing balm or serum to your skin is comfort in a bottle. Try the GLOWBIOTICS Calming Restorative Treatment.
Mens Skincare Advice #3 – Use a Humidifier
Not only is the Winter weather tough on your skin but having the heater on in the house can contribute to the dryness, tightness, and lack of moisture in your skin. If you are still struggling with dry and red skin even with your mens skincare routine of lotions and gentle cleansers, you can hydrate all day by adding a humidifier to your room.
- Perfect humidity in your home should be at about 30%. This will help to balance the atmosphere and help keep your skin from drying out.
- Humidifiers also help with winter colds and sinus issues. Many experience dry sinuses in the winter because of the cold outside and heat inside. Adding moisture in the air will help keep the sinuses from drying out.
- Important note: keep the humidifier clean. The last thing you want is bacteria to build up and start blowing into the air. Do not over humidify as this can cause mold.
Taking these 3 men’s winter skincare tips into consideration to help you with your winter skin troubles. Looking for more men’s skincare advice for all seasons? Glowbiotics offers an amazing guide for general men’s skincare tips! Whether it's cold, indoor dry heat, dehydration, or all of the above, it’s never too late to update your men’s skincare routine. With these simple changes, your skin will benefit!