As the weather gets warmer and humidity increases in the environment, your skin’s sebaceous glands start producing excess sebum (natural oil). The oil builds up on the surface of the skin, leading to an excessive oily feel and blocked pores.
Acne breakouts are the most common problem that occur in summer. People with oily skin are more prone to it as the bacteria and oils in the skin mix with the sweat and environmental contributors, such as pollution. Most of us have to work a bit harder to prevent breakouts and minimize sun damage during the summer months.
When your skin is exposed to the harmful UV rays, melanin production increases in order to protect your skin from sun damage. Melanin has photoprotective qualities. Excess melanin results in darker, tanned skin. Other problems can include itchy skin, prickly heat, sunburn and rash due to sensitivity to the sun.
The best summer skin-care advice; maintain a skin care regimen and follow it religiously. Choose gel-based or water-based products rather than cream-based or oil-based products, as the former are lighter and non-greasy. Cleansing, toning and moisturizing daily will help keep your skin clean and fresh.
Simple Summer Skincare Regimen
Cleanse Morning & Night
- At night you need to cleanse the days oil and pollution build up away, but do you really need to cleanse in the morning too? YES! – at night we perspire, drool (you know you do) and think about all those hair products that we use and are now leaving residue on our pillowcases. Cleansing your skin in the morning is as important as cleansing at night to maintain a healthy balance. Try changing your pillow cases every night too, you’ll be surprised at the difference it makes. Check out GLOWBIOTICS cleansers here!
- During the summer months, it is as important to exfoliate the skin on a regular bases, as it is in the winter, even though you may be feeling oily. Try the Instant Resurfacing Pads from GLOWBIOTICS, a simple, non-drying way to microscopically exfoliate, reduce oil and clear pores. Try them once or twice a week for a beautiful summer glow and healthy even skin tone.
- The best summer skin brightener and free radical fighter has to be Vitamin C. This active ingredient evens skin tone (perfect for those pesky summer spots that appear) and helps fight damage from when we over-do-it in the sun.
Lighten Up on Moisturizer
- In the summer, less is more when it comes to moisturizers. Reach for a gel based or water-based hydrator that will leave your skin quenched and feeling great, but without all that heavy oil that you need in the winter months. Hyaluronic Acid is a key ingredient to look for, it hydrates and pulls water from the atmosphere to balance and keep the skin soothed and hydrated.
- SPF is not just a summer must have; it should be a year-round go to as well. But in the summer, more outdoors activities, means more sun exposure. The biggest push back on the daily application of SPF seems to be the “heavy feel”, or “white/ashy look” it leaves on the skin. GLOWBIOITCS has the answer; our Tinted Sunscreen SPF 30 Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB protects from harmful UV rays but also has a slight tint to it that blends into all skin tones. This oil-free, mineral formula leaves the skin feeling silky and antioxidants help to nourish.
Simple Summer Skin Boosts
Less Hot Showers
- Even in the summer, a nice hot shower feels good to most, but did you know that the hotter the water, the more natural moisture you are pulling from the skin? Warm water is really the best choice when showering or bathing, it protects the moisture barrier of the skin and helps to keep the skin balanced. Try it for one week, we promise you will see a difference.
- When spending time outdoors in the summer, shading yourself is key to protecting your skin. Wearing a hat that shades the face and ears is important, but sitting under an umbrella or sun shade will protect even more of the bodies skin from harmful UVA/UVB rays.
- Finally, enough cannot be said about the importance of hydrating from the inside, out. Drinking water not only keeps the body hydrated but it also contributes to skin hydration.
For customized skincare recommendations, check out GLOWBIOTICS Skincare Quiz today!